I suppose I've been meaning to get a blog started for some time now, having an overactive mind and an insatiable thirst for knowledge for the sake of knowledge gives me incentive to explore mythology and stories passed down from person to person within and outside of their respective cultures. However the need to know things, just needing raw information just for the sake of knowing, leads to a love for mysteries and folklore.
For the past year or so I've been obsessed with this Slenderman figure I keep hearing/reading about. Viral videos, blogs, and postings on internet forums have planted the seeds for curiosity and I have become ever more curious about it. Having no personal experience, and having abandoned my teenage obsessions and dabblings and beliefs in the occult and anything not tangible in favor of what's known and proven and understood by known scientific practices, I wanted to pass it off as a urban myth - a fantasy created by clever writers online. However as I read more and more I'm convinced there could be more to it, perhaps something to understand, something to achieve. If this being exists and isn't a work of fiction, what could be gained from acquiring an understanding of it?
At this point it seems silly to pass it all off as impossible or fantastical. Accounts are too vivid, and I have to say, the me from four or five years ago can't contain his excitement at the possibility of something like this. Something this... foreign, unknowable, uncanny.
Unfortunately, most of the recent stories have taken place on the mainland of North America, leaving me to wonder . Perhaps this being does have limits.
It's not much, but it's something. Still, it's a bummer nothing cool happens out here in the middle of the Pacific.
No comments:
Post a Comment